Do you have an itchy dog, and you are thinking of taking it to the vet? Like a human, dogs also develop itchy skin that makes them uncomfortable. Itchy skin is mostly caused by bug bites and fleas.
Sometimes dog scratches its back that indicates dog allergies. Normally, dog allergies are caused by climate changes and food.
These allergies generate discomfort, around-ear, groin, and paws. Hence, the best solution to your problem is anti-itch cream for dogs that is different from humans.
In this article, I will provide you with the most common information about pets like Can I use an itch cream on my dog.
Can I Use An Anti Itch Cream On My Dog
What type of cream cannot be used on my Itchy dog?
Pets are not easy to keep. They require care and love. Normally if a human face a problem of itchy skin, he can easily apply Calamine lotion or any anti-itch cream. These cream don’t affect human skin, but for pets, especially dogs, these ointments are not helpful.
Calamine and other anti-itch cream contain zinc oxide. However, zinc is very healthy when it is taken orally, and dog food also contains zinc.
However, if you apply an ointment containing zinc oxide on your dog skin, it will lick it, causing vomiting and diarrhea. Zinc oxide also damages the red blood cells of the dogs.
So, before applying any cream on your dog skin, make sure it doesn’t contain zinc oxide.
What type of creams can be use on my dog skin?
A veterinary doctor suggests Calendula cream for dogs. This cream is anti-inflammatory that soothes itchy and inflamed skin. Anti-itching cream can also be used for bug bites, cuts and wounds, scrapes, burns, eczema, and many more things.
There are different types of calendula cream available in the market. Some calendula cream consists of hydrocortisone in manufacturing.
While overdosing of hydrocortisone causes urination, panting, and diarrhea in dogs. It is recommended to read the description of the drug label of medicine first before applying.
Treatment for itchy dog
Allergic diseases are most common among dogs. Treatment is done by the vet for an itchy pet consist of three main steps.
- Use of anti-inflammatory
- Use of adjunctive therapy
- Use of anti-inflammatory
Different anti-inflammatory medicines are available in the market. But the best anti-inflammatory that suppresses allergy among dogs is cortisone. The product is effective in reducing allergy and skin problems among dogs.
Unlike antihistamines, cortisone gives relief even to acute allergy conditions. However, it is not recommending for long term use.
- Use of adjunctive therapy
The main purpose of adjunctive therapy is to minimize the impact of inflammatory medicine on dogs. Mostly, it has been believed that less mediation is good for dogs because it creates their immunity.
The most common adjunctive therapy included the use of topical. Topical are shampoos and sprays that help in giving relief to the pet from itching. The best shampoo provides your pet with temporary relief. Also, it is more effective in fewer hair areas of dogs.
Another adjunctive therapy is the use of omega 3; these are fish oil capsules that provide relief from inflammation. These capsules don’t have any harm-full effects on dogs.
Normally, dog allergy is triggered by climate. To avoid allergy, fist tests are conducted by a vet, and then allergy shots are given to pets. Shots are turned out to be very effective. Now old allergy shots that were injections are replaced by oral medicine.
Desensitization is a very good solution for pet allergy. But it only covers a limited number of allergens. This shows that it is only effective when the type of allergy is known.
Is hydrocortisone toxic for dogs?
The most asked question to the vet is, can I use hydrocortisone cream on my dog? Hydrocortisone doesn’t have any side effects in humans.
However, overdosing in dogs causes severe outcomes. Hydrocortisone in cream is used for soothing inflamed, itchy skin that is caused by flea bites, dermatitis, eczema, and especially allergies.
If a pet consumes a product containing hydrocortisone, it can lead to an increase in thirst, urination, panting, vomiting, and diarrhea. These kinds of ointment contain antibiotics that cause diarrhea in pets, especially dogs.
However, some sprays are recommended that are secure and safe to use on dogs.
Anti-itch medicine for dogs
Mostly adjunctive mediation that included topical and omega 3 immunity boosters are given to dogs to increase their immunity. Dogs can be given multiple anti-itch medicine, sprays, and shampoos that are easily available. Some are listed below:
- Zesty paws allergy immune supplement
- Pet honesty allergy relief immunity
- Veterinary formula clinical hot spot and itch relief spray
- Vets best healthy coat shed and itch relief supplement
- Pet lab co. Itch relief chew for dogs
Zesty paws allergy immune supplement
Zesty paw allergy supplement contains omega 3 wild Alaskan salmon fish oil, Epicor, digestive prebiotics, and probiotics. Safe ingredients are very effective towards itch, skin hot spots, and, most importantly, seasonal allergy.
Besides all, Zesty products are FDA certified that ensures safety and other standards.
Pet honesty allergy relief immunity
Pet honesty allergy relief supplements consist of omega3 salmon fish oil, colostrum, digestive prebiotics, and probiotics. This supplement is very effective in developing immunity from seasonal allergy. You will also get relief from itch, skin hot spots. They are soft chew with good flavor.
Veterinary formula clinical hot spot and itch relief spray
Itch relief spray is very fast-acting and effective. It heals and soothes itchy skin and is recommended for both dogs and cats. The very effective spray is listed under the topical medication category.
Vets best healthy coat shed and itch relief supplement.
This supplement is very operative in providing relief to dogs. The supplement has been recommended in case of irritation and shedding mainly caused by seasonal allergies and dermatitis.
Pet lab co. Itch relief chew for dogs
Specially made product is itch relieving chew for dogs. These help in soothing dog skin that contains turmeric curcumin, fatty acid, and hone.
Best anti-itch cream and supplement for dogs
The best anti-itch for dogs is Zesty paws allergy immune supplement. The product is very effective and recommends by many vets. Zesty supplements are good flavored chews that are loved by dogs.
The best anti-itch cream for dogs is Calendula. It is a very effective anti-inflammatory cream that provides relief to itchy and inflamed skin. The vet suggests anti-itch that contains only 1% hydrocortisone is very effective for dog itch. An overdose of hydrocortisone is injurious to a dog’s health.
Dogs are the most loveable pets and require special care. The most common problem faced by dogs is itch. Most vets are asked the same question. Can I use an anti-itch cream on my dog? The answer is not every anti-itch creams is recommended for dogs.
Most anti-itch cream with high quality of hydrocortisone harms dog’s health. So, it has been recommended to consult a vet if the dog faces acute itchiness.
Do post your views below in the comment box.
- Summer season is upon us, and the hot blazing days aren’t the most suitable ones for your dog. Exposure to constant high temperatures can often affect the health of your dog as it affects the humans, which is why it is essential that you either keep your dog indoors or you get him the perfect ... Read more
- German Shepherds are large and highly social dog breeds. Although they enjoy the love and attention that you through their way, but they also love to enjoy peaceful long-hour sleep and the outdoors. It is often not the best option to keep your dog indoors at all times. They are wild creatures and enjoy the ... Read more
- how to choose dog crate: Buying Guide Does your dog like the outdoors? Do you think that it is about time that you get your dog his very own dog house? If yes, then you have come to the right spot. Just like you need your very own space that you call ‘home,’ dogs also ... Read more
- Crate training is an important step for all house dogs but especially German Shepherds. Dogs are wild animals, and your house isn’t dog-proof. Like a child, a dog needs to understand the difference between acceptable and non-acceptable. And that is where a crate comes in handy. What do you do with a child when we ... Read more
- Whether dog owners should use a dog crate for house training or not is a controversial topic. Some owners believe that without a crate, it would become impossible for them to train their dogs, whereas others believe that using a crate is just cruel in all ways. Well, everyone has their own opinions, but we ... Read more