Some things make you fall in love without saying or trying. A dog is one of them. You will never regret this decision of being a dog parent. Your dog will redefine love for you and change your life by 180°.
You will start living by the schedule of your dog, and you won’t be able to even leave the house without him. Most importantly, you will share every single detail of your day with your new doggo! If that is not unconditional love, then I don’t know what is.
Apart from all the lovey-dovey phase, there exists a responsibility phase for which you need to be prepared. And for that purpose, I got you a special first-time dog owner checklist.
First Time Dog Owner Checklist
Better reasons to have a checklist
Why do we create checklists? To worry less and get more done. Isn’t it like that? And when it comes to a checklist for a dog parent, you need to understand a few things.
Firstly, a list isn’t just for you to be relaxed and stress-free, but it is for your dog. That utterly beautiful creature deserves nothing but the best.
Secondly, you are going to be a parent of a dog, so you can’t afford any risk. Parents want everything on point for their babies. Not even better or second best, they always want the best for their babies.
If responsibilities freak you out, then this one might scare you as well. So, its time you share the burden with a checklist and go through a new dog owner guide to efficiently fulfill your responsibilities. Probably, this is the third reason for a checklist
I think now you are convinced that a checklist is pretty crucial, so without wasting any time, lets jump onto the checklist.
- Basic knowledge of Dog Physiology
Undoubtedly, this should be the first point in a dog checklist because health over anything, anytime. Dogs are different from humans, and that’s quite apparent. So, this should compel us into knowing them medically as well.
Just the basic knowledge will work wonders. Please do your research and keep doing it often. You will be able to handle emergencies very well.
A basic insight about your dog’s body will be of great help when you are looking for a vet. You will make a critically wise choice due to your knowledge and research.
Also, you can be able to understand what the Vet checks monthly and what are the aspects you need to be cautious of between two visits.
It will help you to be more mentally involved in every regular medical checkup of your dog and promotes a healthy pet-parent relationship.
You need a carefully planned, new dog shopping list. There are many important items such as a
dog bed, which should be comfortable and spacious both.
Clean sheets are also essential, but other supplies to make the bed comfier are additional. You can skip them or add as many as you want.
- Dog toys
Another important accessory is the toy or toys. To keep your dog engaged and to have a fun
time at the park, you will need a ball or something like that.
There are pretty of such options in which a ball is a basic one. You can go for a rubber bone, a chew toy, or even an interactive puzzle as well.
However, now tough toys are more preferred for great and productive interactive sessions.
- Hygiene products
The way you keep your dog speaks a lot about you. If you are a gentleman, then let your dog
speak for it. Interestingly, there are many grooming products for dogs as well.
A shampoo accompanied by a conditioner will give the right feels of a spa day to your dog. Make sure to select a milder shampoo without any harsh chemicals (Reminder: double-check if your dog has any allergies before using any product)
A nail clipper is also as essential as other accessories. However, if you are unable to clip the nails of your doggo, get it done at the vet clinic but remember, it’s necessary.
Remember when you made peace with hair fall? When your hair strands in every corner of the house became normal for you? It’s time to shift to new normal dog hair in every corner of the house!!
You can’t get rid of it completely but lessen it with appropriate brushing. So, a brush is a necessity in that case.
- Poop scooper
No matter how gross you find it, you can’t get away with your dog’s poop. To discard it efficiently, you need a scooper and a poop bag, so this inevitable, natural phenomenon does not become a burden on you.
Also, if you have a puppy, a sanitary pad will work great for the initial phase when you and the pet both are getting along (That’s my two cents on first-time dog owner tips!)
- Dog tags
I wonder why I didn’t mention it earlier but anyway, better late than never. Make sure your dog
has it whenever you guys are outside.
Even better, make him wear the tag when you are not around. That would be safer.
- Car cover
Make your dog feel special with his designated space in the car. Since he will be accompanying
you frequently in the car, he deserves a special place there.
Well, in that case, a car seat cover would be a great option. Also, it will protect your car from dirt, and there would be no dog hairs in it as well.
- First Aid kit
This one is a very important item on the checklist, and I recommend making it your priority.
Accidents and medical emergencies are unpredictable.
All you can do is to be prepared beforehand. So, a first aid kit is a big necessity as your little pup won’t be able to speak for his pain
As you embark on this precious and amazing journey of dog parenting, all my well wishes are with you. It’s a terrific yet rewarding experience.
I don’t want you to repeat the same mistakes I made due to which I wasn’t able to enjoy the initial days of my dog.
I never had a checklist, but I am truly aware of its importance. So, I recommended you a first-time dog owner checklist to have a fuss-free experience.
Do let me know if this checklist helped you with your doggies. Till then, happy parenting!
- The dogs are considered to be very loyal companions and real friends of human beings. The animals show unconditional love and affection for their owners. But sometimes, the dogs begin to show unwanted barking, running, eating, or peeing behavior. Furthermore, the dogs may start to run so they can chase other animals or human beings. ... Read more
- When it comes to the best training collar for stubborn dogs, there are various choices that you can go for – from manual to remote, from vibration to shock, the list goes on. But before you start your dog training with Collar, you need to measure your pet. Dogs come in various shapes and sizes; ... Read more
- The beagles are amiable dogs. The dogs are quite active, curious, playful, and loyal, just like the other dogs. They may become annoying sometimes and start barking. The beagles are small-sized dogs but are very energetic at the same time. Therefore, they can quickly wake the entire neighborhood. Consequently, it is crucial to control your ... Read more
- Beagles are great dogs; they are loving, curious, loyal, and energetic dogs. The dogs are very family orientated and want to be surrounded by family members. So what’s not to like about the dogs? The barking habits of the beagles can be annoying for you. The dogs bark a lot and can wake your entire ... Read more
- Boxers are adorable, loving, and social dogs. They want to live just close to family members. The dogs are highly active ad you will find them the best sport dogs. Furthermore, boxers want to go outside either for a walk or for some other games. The dogs have distinctive personalities but sometimes begin to bark ... Read more